Ken Downing, Senior Vice President and Fashion Director for Neiman Marcus, is one of the most knowledgeable people in fashion when it comes to what looks good on a woman. “The way clothes fit have everything to do with how they look on you and whether they look appropriate or not,” Ken said.
Here are some of Ken’s tips for finding clothes that make you look your best.
- Cultivate a relationship with a great sales associate who has a good understanding of you and your lifestyle and how you want to dress. They will guide you to the right place.
- Let go of any preconceived notion about what size you are. Sizes today are not the same as they were 20 years ago. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a size 2 or a size 14. Buy clothes that fit, and by all means, have them altered. Few of us look great in something straight off the rack.
- Whether it’s someone at your dry cleaner, or at your favorite store, like a Neiman Marcus, find a great alterations person.
- Make sure skirts and pants don’t pull in the wrong places, and make sure the lengths are flattering.
- Remember to check sleeve length. Too often, sleeves are too short on tall women with long arms, or too long on petite women with shorter arms.
If you’re interested in more of Ken Downing’s advice about dressing and women over 40, check out his interview on 1010ParkPlace.